Expatriation is never easy because it is starting from scratch in a new place.

This guide will help you settle in the French capital in a serene way.

Do you have any questions, a doubt? You can contact us here.
  1. Renting in France: useful links
  • Tenants:
Are you looking for a rental?

A1 REAL ESTATE is specialized in furnished rentals of prestigious properties for more than 10 years in Paris.

A1 REAL ESTATE offers several types of rental contracts: the Civil Code lease, Second Residence Lease, Company Lease, Company Lease and also Mobility Lease for professional mission for rentals from 1 month to 3 years.

Why furnished rentals?
The mobility lease
The civil code lease
Our offers
Our real estate news
Taxation of furnished rentals for non-residents

  • The owners:
Rent your furnished apartment or your pied-à-terre in Paris with confidence to the best candidate profiles tenants finely selected by us.

Our clientele includes many French and foreign companies , expatriates, embassies and consulates, diplomats, athletes, renowned artists and an international elite, for rentals for a period of 1 month to 3 years in mobility lease, second home lease,      or company lease.

Why choose us?
The mobility lease
The civil code lease
Our offers
Rental management
Our real estate news

> The rental guide
> Preparing your self-employed file
> Preparing your student file
> Preparing your file as an unmarried couple

2.Buying and selling in France

Buying a house in France is your dream? If so, you need to answer a few questions before you shop: is your goal to live there or to earn rental income from it? How much does it cost to buy a property? What documents do you need?

What documents are required?
> Passport (original and copy);
> Bank account opened in France;
> Copy of the birth certificate;
> Copy of marriage certificate/divorce certificate (if applicable);
> Evidence of sources of funding;
> Bank account statement;
> Residence visa;

After visiting an apartment for sale or a house for sale, you may be interested and you want to position yourself to indicate it to the seller. To do this, you will give him an offer to purchase written by you.

Some useful links
> Buy your property
> The seller's guide
> Build your sales file

3. Visa and residence permit

How do I apply for a visa? Visit the official government website

What are the official documents to reside in the country?
> Passport;
> European Travel Insurance;
> Mention of the place of stay;
> If you indicate that you are coming as a tourist, you will have to pay for a return ticket dated less than 90 days before your arrival;
> If you do not have a return ticket dated less than 90 days before your arrival, you will need to present a visa.

To reside in France, you need two (2) documents:
the Carte Vitale and the residence permit.

The Carte Vitale is the national health insurance card in France. Foreigners who meet the conditions to register can benefit from 60 to 70% of their medical expenses, including consultations, examinations and prescriptions, covered by the French government (You will have to prove that you have lived in the country for at least three months when you apply for your carte vitale from of the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie).

The residence permit is like an identity card of a foreigner in the country. When you go to the French consulate to receive your visa, you will also receive the OFII (French Office for Immigration and Integration) form, which must be kept with the utmost care as you will need it to obtain your residence permit.

- On the service-public.fr website (https://www.service-public.fr/) and choose from the menu the "Foreigner" tab
- On the Immigration.gouv.fr website ( https://www.immigration.interieur.gouv.fr/) and choose from the menu the tab "Procedures" or on the link: https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/etranger
On the service-public.fr and immigration.gouv.fr websites, you will also find all the regulatory references

4. Where to live in Paris?

Looking for an apartment in Paris is not an easy task, some arrondissements are more expensive than others, some arrondissements are more family, couple, single, students, corporate companies, and startups.

Transport, culture, environment, shops, schools are also the elements that you will find in this guide to know every corner of each arrondissement and thus help you choose your Parisian neighborhood or district.

Paris Guide

5. Transport in Paris

To get around Paris easily, quickly and at an affordable price, public transport is certainly the best possible solution. 

You can buy a single ticket, a book of tickets, opt for the 5-day Paris Visite pass or choose a weekly or monthly Navigo pass for a longer stay. 

Paris Guide

6. Driver's licence

- In general, you can drive with a licence issued by a non-European State only for 1 year from the acquisition of normal residence in France, i.e. from the issuance of a first residence permit. Then, you must request the exchange of your non-European driving license for a French one.

- For complete information, log on to service.public.fr and choose the section "transport" and "driving in France with a foreign license" or the link:

7. Employment

The France has a stable labour market, supported by a strong economy that helps keep the unemployment rate low at 7.10%.

Residence permits authorising work:
> VLS-TS (for a long stay equivalent to a residence permit) or residence permit "private and family life"
> Multi-year residence permit
> Provisional residence permit (APS) "Master"
> Receipt mentioning authorizes its holder to work
> Working Holiday Visa
> You are posted to a European service provider
> You come to work in France for a maximum of 3 months
The complete list on the government website

- You regularly reside in France and your residence permit does not authorize you to work, the employer must apply for a work permit in a dematerialized way on the ANEF website:

- You live outside France and you wish to come to France to work, your employer must apply for a work permit in a dematerialized way on the ANEF website specifying the residence outside France:

8. Taxes payable in France

What are the costs associated with the property ?
  • Moving expenses, which are ancillary costs not to be neglected when completing your real estate purchase budget. There are networking platforms to plan your move with professionals serenely: fretbay.com (international), demenageur.com (France), utily.fr (France)

  • Co-ownership  fees: it is a question of participating financially, like all other co-owners, in the realization of major maintenance work on a building such as the installation or renovation of an elevator, the maintenance of common areas, the renovation of facades, etc.

  • Local taxes (the housing  tax (established according to the tenant's income and dependants. From 2023, no more households will pay housing tax on their principal residence (  only the responsibility of the owner))

  • Income tax: deducted at source if you are an employee, also concerns micro-enterprises, as well as tax income resulting from furnished  rentals , as well as those resulting from a potential subletting, are subject to income tax in the category of industrial and commercial profits (BIC).

9. Open a bank account and convert your currency

In order to open a bank account in France, you need proof of identity (valid: identity card, passport or driving license), proof of address (this can be an electricity bill, gas, a copy of the rental contract or a certificate of home insurance), a residence permit or a long-stay visa and proof of income.

How do I transfer or convert currencies?
With wise.com, Revolut, N26 and Wester Union it's possible!

10. Health in France

To subscribe to health insurance in France, you will need to build a file with the following documents: proof of identity, proof of residence and address, proof of income and birth certificate.

If you come to study in France, you are considered to be temporarily staying and must be affiliated to the health insurance scheme of your home country.

If you are unemployed, receiving benefits and allowed to transfer your residence to France, you remain affiliated to the unemployment insurance scheme in your country during this time.
In order to be reimbursed for your healthcare expenses in France, you must apply for the European Health Insurance Card from your affiliated organisation before your departure.

If you are retired from another European country and you come to live your retirement in France, you can transfer your health insurance rights there.
To do this, you must apply to the fund of the country responsible for your pension for document S1 (registration for health insurance coverage). This fund must then send it to your health insurance fund in France.

Consult all the information about the Health Insurance of a foreigner in France

Foreigners residing in France are entitled to CMU-C, AME and PUMA health coverage, for professional reasons or following an asylum application.

The list of international hospitals and clinics in Paris:

11.The school in Paris

1.Public education in France: education is compulsory from the age of 3. All French and foreign children residing in Paris can be welcomed from the beginning of the school year in kindergarten the year they turn 3.
Your child's public school is assigned to you according to your home address. However, you can ask to enrol your child in the public school of a municipality other than the one where you live. The steps are different depending on the reason for which you are applying.

All the information concerning the registration to the school and the school map can be found on the website of the city of Paris!

2.Private school (from kindergarten to secondary):
Chardin Primary School
French/English bilingual school
Kindergarten and primary school
7 rue Chardin Paris 16
01 46 51 04 09

International School of Paris
French/English bilingual school
From kindergarten to high school
6 Rue Beethoven 75016 Paris
01 42 24 09 54

The Cours Molière
French/English bilingual school
From kindergarten to high school
2, boulevard Soult 75012 Paris
01 43 43 44 96

The British School of Paris
De kindergarten to high school
38, quai de l'Ecluse 78290 Croissy-sur-Seine France
01 34 80 45 94

De kindergarten to high school
English Spanish German
5 rue de Lübeck 75116 PARIS (01 40 70 12 81)
34 avenue des Champs-Elysées 75008 PARIS (01 47 20 09 17)

The Lennen Bilingual School
Ebilingual French/English
Ekindergarten and primary school
Paris 75007

International Deutsche Schule Paris
Ecole kindergarten to high school
18 Rue Pasteur, 92210 Saint-Cloud
01 46 02 85 68

Swedish School of Paris
Ekindergarten and primary school
9 Rue Médéric 75017 Paris 
01 46 22 31 05

All bilingual international schools in Paris (the majority are followers of Montessori pedagogy).

Find all the university schools by arrondissement on our guide to the arrondissements of Paris!

3.The Montessori school : The Montessori school is a bilingual school, kindergarten and primary, which seeks the development of the personality of each one while privileging autonomy in respect of the rhythm of each child.

Paris 75003
Sweet Kindergarten Meslay
48 rue Meslay/ 41 bld St Martin
75003 Paris
06 50 66 72 16

Paris 75004
Sweet Kindergarten Crillon
9 Crillon Street
75004 Paris
06 50 66 72 16

Paris 75005
International Montessori School*
247 Saint-Jacques Street
75005 Paris
+33 (0) 9 80 90 26 70

Paris 75006
Sweet Kindergarten Saint-Michel
84 Boulevard Saint-Michel
75006 Paris
06 50 66 72 16

Paris 75007
The Bilingual Montessori School of Paris / Babylone*
24, rue de Babylone
75007 Paris
+33 (0)7 49 94 83 93

Montessori Jewish Kindergarten
27, rue de Ségur
75007 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 66 45 92

Ellipse Montessori Academy*
3 Amélie Street
75007 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 00 66 25

Paris 75008
The Bilingual Montessori School of Paris*
23 George V Avenue
75008 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 55 13 27

Paris 75009
Montessori School of Paris*
13, rue de la Grange Batelière
75009 Paris
+33 (0)1 42 47 12 82

Wi School, Montessori Bilingual School
2 rue Thimonnier / 6 rue Pierre Sémard
75009 Paris
+33 (6) 63 30 86 58

Paris 75010
Blanc Marine – Montessori Kindergarten
51-53 Bichat Street
75010 Paris
Phone : +33 (0)1 42 08 20 17
Email: [email protected]

Paris 75011
Le petit d'Homme
6, rue des Bluets
75011 Paris
+33 (0)1 43 55 40 19

Paris 75012
School of Being&Knowledge*
2 Santerre Street
75012 Paris

Paris 75013
La Baleine Montessori School*
5 Buot Street
75013 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 88 78 26

Paris 75015
International Montessori School Esclaibes of Paris 15
1 Jules Simon Street
75015 Paris
+ 33 (6) 48 72 18 29

The Little English Montessori School*
10 Clouet Street
75015 Paris

Paris 75016
International Montessori School Esclaibes of Paris 16
43 Rue François Gérard
75016 Paris
+ 33 (6) 48 72 18 29

The Bilingual Montessori School of Paris / Auteuil*
53 Erlanger Street
75016 Paris
+33 (0)7 49 94 83 93

The Little School of the Good Shepherd*
90 de l'Assomption Street
75016 Paris
+33 (0)7 66 61 11 41

Paris 75017
Montessori's Cool*
5 Rue Emile Allez
75017 Paris
+33 (0)6 25 57 11 04

Paris 75019
Childhood Fun – The Little One's Nest*
58 rue du Pré Saint Gervais
75019 Paris
+33 (0)1 40 35 01 53

*schools approved by the AMF, the Montessori Association of France.

Contact us

We use cookies to provide you with an optimal experience and relevant communication on our site. Thanks to these technologies, we can offer you content related to your interests. They also allow us to improve the quality of our services and the user-friendliness of our website. We will only use personal data for which you have given your consent. You can modify it at any time via the ″Manage cookies″ section at the bottom of our site, with the exception of cookies essential to its operation. For more information about your personal data, please see .
Accept everything
Refuse all