Expatriation is never easy because it's starting from scratch in a new place. Fortunately, this relocation guide will help you settle in Paris or any other cities in France in the easiest and most hassle-free way. 

If you are still unsure about your relocation concerns, you can also contact us.
  1. Renting in France: useful links
For Tenants

Are you looking for a place to rent?

Let’s first focus on finding a furnished rental, since an unfurnished rental would require you to move with your furniture and the commitment is generally 3 years and more. 

A1 Real Estate specializes in furnished rentals in Paris. Our experience has spanned more than 10 years

Whether you are coming to France for short stay or for long stay,  you can choose in between different kinds of leases for furnished rentals from 1 month to 12 months, including:
Important Links:

For Owners

Rent out your furnished apartment in Paris with our help. You can guarantee to get a suitable tenant from our fine selection of profiles

Our clientele includes many French and foreign companies, expatriates, embassies & consulates, diplomats, athletes, renowned artists, and the international elite for rentals for various kinds of leases. 

Important Links:

2.Buying and selling in France

Planning to buy your home base in Paris? If so, you need to answer a few questions before you shop on the Paris real estate market. The following questions also apply for any other cities in France: 
  • Is your goal to live there or to earn rental income from it? 
  • How much does it cost to buy a property? 
  • What documents do you need?

For the latter, the required documents for purchasing property in France include:
  • Passport (original and copy)
  • Bank account opened in France
  • Bank account statements
  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Copy of marriage certificate/divorce certificate (if applicable)
  • Proof of sources of funding
  • Residence visa

After visiting a property for sale, you may be interested in buying the place and letting the seller (oftentimes current owner) know about it. You'll then need to give them a signed offer to purchase

Important Links:

3. Visa and residence permit

How do you apply for a visa? Visit the official government website to learn more about it. 

What are the required documents for you to travel to the country?
  • Passport
  • European Travel Insurance
  • Mention of the place of stay
  • If you indicate that you are coming as a tourist, you will have to pay for a return ticket dated less than 90 days before your arrival
  • If you do not have a return ticket dated less than 90 days before your arrival, you will need to present a visa

To reside in France legally, you will need two (2) documents:
  • The Residency Permit
  • The residence permit is like an identity card of a foreigner in the country. When you go to the French consulate to receive your visa, you will also receive the OFII (French Office for Immigration and Integration) form, which must be kept with utmost care as you will need it to obtain your residence permit.

  • The Carte Vitale 
  • The Carte Vitale is the national health insurance card in France. Foreigners who meet the qualifications to register can benefit from 60% to 70% of their medical expenses, including consultations, examinations, and prescriptions, covered by the French government (You will have to prove that you have lived in the country for at least three months when you apply for your Carte Vitale from the Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie).

4. Where to live in Paris?

Looking for an apartment in Paris is not an easy task as some arrondissements are more expensive than others. There are also some districts that are more suitable for families, students, single adults, unmarried couples, and more. 

You'll also need to consider public transport, culture, environment, shops, schools, and more. To help you out, we've provided a guide to the arrondissement of Paris so you can learn more about each and every district. 

5. Transport in Paris

To get around Paris more efficiently and at an affordable price, you're better off taking public transport

You can buy a single ticket or a book of tickets. There's also the option of the 5-day Paris Visite Pass or a weekly/monthly Navigo Pass (if you now live in the city). 

6. Driver's licence

If you still prefer to drive in Paris instead, you can still use a license issued by a non-European State only for 1 year upon getting your first residency permit in France. Afterward, you must request the exchange of your non-European driving license for a French one.

For complete information, visit this link: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/N19126 

7. Employment

France has a stable labor market, supported by a strong economy that helps keep the unemployment rate low at 7.10%

The kinds of residency permits that authorize working in France include:
  • VLS-TS (for a long stay equivalent to a residence permit) or residence permit “private and family life”
  • Multi-year residence permit
  • Provisional residence permit (APS) “Master”
  • The receipt mentioning authorizes its holder to work
  • Working Holiday Visa
  • You are posted to a European service provider
  • You come to work in France for a maximum of 3 months
The complete list is on the government website
  • If you regularly reside in France and your residence permit does not authorize you to work, the employer must apply for a work permit in a dematerialized way on the ANEF website:
  • If you live outside France and you wish to come to the country to work, your employer must apply for a work permit in a dematerialized way on the ANEF website specifying the residence outside France:

8. Taxes payable in France

What are the costs associated with the property?
  • Moving expenses
  • These are ancillary costs and are not to be neglected when setting up your real estate purchase budget. Fortunately, there are networking platforms to plan your move with professionals easily: fretbay.com (international), demenageur.com (France), and utily.fr (France).

  • Co-ownership fees
  • Applies to properties co-owned by multiple individuals or entities
  • Mostly used for maintenance of various parts of the property. 

  • Local taxes
  • The housing tax (established according to the tenant's income and dependents). From 2023 onwards, households will no longer have to pay housing tax on their principal residence.
  • The responsibility of the owner only.

  • Income tax
  • This only applies to employed and self-employed individuals. 
  • It also applies to owner-landlords who earn income from renting out their properties. Their income is taxed subject to income tax in the category of Industrial and Commercial profits (BIC).

9. Open a bank account and convert your currency

In order to open a bank account in France, you need to provide:
  • Proof of identity (i.e. valid identity card, passport, or driving license)
  • Proof of address (i.e. electricity bill, gas, a copy of the rental contract, or a certificate of home insurance)
  • Proof of income (i.e. company ID, employment contract, pay slips, or invoices)
  • Residence permit or a long-stay visa 

How do you transfer or convert currencies?

10. Health in France

To subscribe to health insurance in France, you will need to build a file with the following documents:
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence and address
  • Proof of income
  • Your birth certificate

If you come to study in France, you are considered to be temporarily staying and must be affiliated with the health insurance scheme of your home country.

If you are unemployed, receiving benefits, and allowed to transfer your residence to France, you must remain affiliated with the unemployment insurance scheme in your country during this time.
  • In order to be reimbursed for your healthcare expenses in France, you must apply for the European Health Insurance Card from your affiliated organization before your departure.

If you are retired from another European country and you've moved to France for your retirement, you can transfer your health insurance rights here.
  • To do this, you must apply to the fund of the country responsible for your pension for Document S1 (registration for health insurance coverage). This fund must then send it to your health insurance fund in France.

Consult all the information about the Health Insurance of a foreigner in France

Foreigners residing in France for professional reasons or following an asylum application are entitled to CMU-C, AME, and PUMA health coverage

11.The school in Paris

If you move to France with your kids, you need to know that:
  1. Public education in France: education is compulsory from the age of 3 years old.
  2. All French and foreign children residing in Paris are welcomed from the beginning of the school year in kindergarten when they turn 3 years old.
  3. Your child's public school is assigned according to your home address. However, you can still ask to enroll your child in a public school in another municipality. The steps are different depending on the reason for your enrollment.

All the information concerning the registration of the school and the school map can be found on the official website of the City of Paris!

2.Private school (from kindergarten to secondary):
Chardin Primary School
French/English bilingual school
Kindergarten and primary school
7 rue Chardin Paris 16
01 46 51 04 09

International School of Paris
French/English bilingual school
From kindergarten to high school
6 Rue Beethoven 75016 Paris
01 42 24 09 54

The Cours Molière
French/English bilingual school
From kindergarten to high school
2, boulevard Soult 75012 Paris
01 43 43 44 96

The British School of Paris
De kindergarten to high school
38, quai de l'Ecluse 78290 Croissy-sur-Seine France
01 34 80 45 94

De kindergarten to high school
English Spanish German
5 rue de Lübeck 75116 PARIS (01 40 70 12 81)
34 avenue des Champs-Elysées 75008 PARIS (01 47 20 09 17)

The Lennen Bilingual School
Ebilingual French/English
Ekindergarten and primary school
Paris 75007

International Deutsche Schule Paris
Ecole kindergarten to high school
18 Rue Pasteur, 92210 Saint-Cloud
01 46 02 85 68

Swedish School of Paris
Ekindergarten and primary school
9 Rue Médéric 75017 Paris 
01 46 22 31 05

All bilingual international schools in Paris (the majority are followers of Montessori pedagogy).

Find all the university schools by arrondissement on our guide to the arrondissements of Paris!

3.The Montessori school : The Montessori school is a bilingual school, kindergarten and primary, which seeks the development of the personality of each one while privileging autonomy in respect of the rhythm of each child.

Paris 75003
Sweet Kindergarten Meslay
48 rue Meslay/ 41 bld St Martin
75003 Paris
06 50 66 72 16

Paris 75004
Sweet Kindergarten Crillon
9 Crillon Street
75004 Paris
06 50 66 72 16

Paris 75005
International Montessori School*
247 Saint-Jacques Street
75005 Paris
+33 (0) 9 80 90 26 70

Paris 75006
Sweet Kindergarten Saint-Michel
84 Boulevard Saint-Michel
75006 Paris
06 50 66 72 16

Paris 75007
The Bilingual Montessori School of Paris / Babylone*
24, rue de Babylone
75007 Paris
+33 (0)7 49 94 83 93

Montessori Jewish Kindergarten
27, rue de Ségur
75007 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 66 45 92

Ellipse Montessori Academy*
3 Amélie Street
75007 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 00 66 25

Paris 75008
The Bilingual Montessori School of Paris*
23 George V Avenue
75008 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 55 13 27

Paris 75009
Montessori School of Paris*
13, rue de la Grange Batelière
75009 Paris
+33 (0)1 42 47 12 82

Wi School, Montessori Bilingual School
2 rue Thimonnier / 6 rue Pierre Sémard
75009 Paris
+33 (6) 63 30 86 58

Paris 75010
Blanc Marine – Montessori Kindergarten
51-53 Bichat Street
75010 Paris
Phone : +33 (0)1 42 08 20 17
Email: [email protected]

Paris 75011
Le petit d'Homme
6, rue des Bluets
75011 Paris
+33 (0)1 43 55 40 19

Paris 75012
School of Being&Knowledge*
2 Santerre Street
75012 Paris

Paris 75013
La Baleine Montessori School*
5 Buot Street
75013 Paris
+33 (0)1 45 88 78 26

Paris 75015
International Montessori School Esclaibes of Paris 15
1 Jules Simon Street
75015 Paris
+ 33 (6) 48 72 18 29

The Little English Montessori School*
10 Clouet Street
75015 Paris

Paris 75016
International Montessori School Esclaibes of Paris 16
43 Rue François Gérard
75016 Paris
+ 33 (6) 48 72 18 29

The Bilingual Montessori School of Paris / Auteuil*
53 Erlanger Street
75016 Paris
+33 (0)7 49 94 83 93

The Little School of the Good Shepherd*
90 de l'Assomption Street
75016 Paris
+33 (0)7 66 61 11 41

Paris 75017
Montessori's Cool*
5 Rue Emile Allez
75017 Paris
+33 (0)6 25 57 11 04

Paris 75019
Childhood Fun – The Little One's Nest*
58 rue du Pré Saint Gervais
75019 Paris
+33 (0)1 40 35 01 53

*schools approved by the AMF, the Montessori Association of France.

Contact us

We use cookies to provide you with an optimal experience and relevant communication on our site. Thanks to these technologies, we can offer you content related to your interests. They also allow us to improve the quality of our services and the user-friendliness of our website. We will only use personal data for which you have given your consent. You can modify it at any time via the ″Manage cookies″ section at the bottom of our site, with the exception of cookies essential to its operation. For more information about your personal data, please see .
Accept everything
Refuse all